Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Oscar chat

I haven't seen a single movie nominated. From 2005, the top ten grossing movies were:

Revenge of the Sith
Harry Potter
Chronicles of Narnia
War of the Worlds
King Kong
Wedding Crashers
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Madagascar
Mr. & Mrs. Smith


I've seen just about every one of those movies, so it is not as if I'm totally out of the loop. But, of course, none of those movies have been nominated. The movies that are nominated haven't even grossed, combined, as much as any of the above listed movies. Of course, it must be noted that many of the movies nominated came out late in the year, and are not out on DVD (which is how I see many flicks.) But, this year the difference is that i have absolutely NO desire to see any of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

Brokeback Mountain - chances are very slim I'll ever see this movie.

Crash - Maybe, I'd say this one definetely maybe someday might appear on my Netflix list.

Goodnight and Good Luck- no way.

Capote - pretty doubtful. I read his book, In Cold Blood, isn't that enough?

Munich- there is a slight change I might view it, but only as an action adventure flick, secure in the knowledge that it is only tenuously related to fact.

So my question is- why is the "industry" so interested in making movies no one wants to watch? I understand the the blockbusters are put out by the "Major" players. But, the past year in movies has been the worst in Hollywood's history. Perhaps we're just not interested in their morality plays anymore?