Thursday, September 14, 2006

Coincidence?

Growing up, one of my good childhood friends was Canadian. My family had a Cottage in Ontario, so I spent every summer with her. She was very sweet, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. One year, I wanted to learn a bit about how their government worked, but I quickly realized I was asking the WRONG person when she informed me that Ronald Reagan was her president.

I never assumed, though, that intellectual acuity was tied to her nationality. But, this (from AoS) gives me pause:

Sadly, a recent poll on another Canadian television network showed that 22 per cent of Canadians believe the American government was involved in 9/11. Another 53 per cent are of the opinion that US foreign policy was responsible for the attack. All of which shows a diminishment of trust in America


Twenty-two percent?!? That's a rather large percentage to be merely a loony "fringe." What is the problem Canada? Too much beer drinking? Been playing hockey without a helmet one too many times?? I'm about ->this<- close to declaring the entire country a lost cause. If it wasn't for the Tragically Hip I would have written you off entirely long ago. And I'll never forgive you for foisting Celine upon us.

Never forget. Never forgive.