Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's Epiphany

I had and epiphany on New Year's day, as I watched the last episode of Firefly (a wonderful show that was cancelled by Fox without giving it a scintilla of a chance of succeeding.)

Now, hopefully I'm not offending anyone here- but I've come to the realization that tv executives don't want me as a viewer. They don't care if they cancel my favorite program. You see, I don't watch enough tv for them to care. And, the more drek they put out, the less I watch. The only viewers they care about are those who are willing to watch the garbage that they offer EVERY night. I haven't watched a sitcom since Seinfeld went off the air. I've never seen an episode of any of the CSI's and haven't watched more than 10 minuets (total) of any of the Survivor shows. I could go on about the shows I haven't watched, but I probably don't even know their names.

Now, I'm not being judgmental (I don't think) - but the problem I have with the way the television world is set up is that the idiot minions who watch 5 hours a day are dictating what is on. And, people who watch that much tv aren't really going to be discriminating. I'm fine with there not being hours upon hours of watch-able television every night. It's just pathetic and sad when shows that are truly great lose out to absolute crap.