Saturday, January 28, 2006

If I had Carin's kidney...


First, an odd story:

Woman Claims to Have Diana's KidneyA French woman, Francoise Gaellar, had a kidney transplant two days after Princess Diana died in a car crash. She believes that she received Diana's kidney. As a consequence, she now feels urges to speak in English:"I found myself speaking English to my friends, something I don't normally do because I have no reason to," she says. "I cannot explain why I did this."Is this evidence of a fanciful nature, or an indication she had indeed received an organ from an English-speaker? Improbable though it sounds, there are many documented accounts of organ recipients taking on characteristics of their donors.The French authorities aren't allowed to say who people get their organs from. They also aren't about to reveal what happened to Diana's body after she died. But a Hospital spokesperson did say that: "Because of bioethical laws and other considerations, it would have been impossible for this type of transplant to have taken place in a French hospital involving a British citizen, particularly when that person was the Princess of Wales."
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005

Now if I'd received Carin's kidney, I'd be pleased to discover a new expertise in choosing a good bottle of wine.

George