Doug Ross asks what my husband has basically been telling me every night at the dinner table.
Is President Obama intentionally attempting to bring the stock market to its knees? Some argue that, indeed, he is. "The free market has failed," he could say, "just as it failed the housing market!"
I warned you, you're gonna need to cornify.
Consider that, in the teeth of a devastating recession, Obama has:
• Raised taxes on small businesses, the engines of entrepreneurship and job growth
• Raised the capital gains tax
• Lied about "tax cuts for 95% of Americans", offering instead $13 a week, achieved not through tax cuts, but by changing the federal withholding tables!
• Destroyed charitable giving by axing the tax breaks for 26% of all giving (or $81 billion in 2006)
• Proposed a carbon cap-and-trading scheme designed to punish oil companies and further tax consumers
Why would Obama inflict these destructive policies while the economy is collapsing? Simple. Each step strengthens the role of government in people's lives.
Certainly he inherited a flailing economy, but absolutely everything he has done has amplified the crises. Every time he, or his administration, opens his mouth, the stock market tanks even further.
Honestly, we're fucked.