Thursday, August 09, 2007

If I were doing a list, which I'm not

Michele invited people to throw out their favorite tunes, but I didn't really think I could do it justice in comments. Also, I'm not a fraction as good as Michele at explaining why I like what I like, and hoped to avoid a direct comparison to her writing.


First up is "Nautical Disaster" by The Tragically Hip



The first time I ever heard this song, it sent chills down my spin. I didn't know what the heck it was about, but it didn't sound good:

One afternoon, four thousand men died in the water here
Five hundred more were thrashing madly as parasites might in you blood
Now I was in lifeboat designed for ten and ten and only,
Anything that systematic would get you hated.
It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated.
The selection was quick, the crew was picked and
those left in the water got kicked off our pant leg and we headed for home.


People have argued about which nautical disaster Gord is talking about (the Bismark and Dieppe are tossed around), but he's not telling. Best assumptions that it's a composite or an allegory or an allusion- you know, one of those fancy-shmancy writer tricks. I read once that it was about a failed relationship. Who knows, who cares. I love it.

Next up, I'm gonna take Michele to task for her nomination of "Mosquito Song" as favorite QOTSA tune. I know, doesn't really seem fair, does it? Taking someone to task for their opinion. Well, it's hot, and nearing my monthly, so let me be a bitch for just a little bit.

Now Mosquito Song is moody and mysterious and all that. It's also a tad repetitive. I cry, CRY, that Michele listens to this repetitive song, REPEATEDLY. You know what I think it is? Michele has this ability to put some sort of movie-horror scape into her mind while this song plays, making it more interesting. For her. Anyway, my favorite QOTSA song (this week) is (F-bomb 3 minuets in):



No explanation, because the song speaks for itself, right? Ok, one little bit - I love the harmonies in this song. It's like Josh is singing sweet-sweet nothing right to me. If I were twenty (ok twenty-five) years younger, I'd have poster of him on my wall, and I'd stare at it as I listen to this song over and over and over again.

Instead, when I was 16, I had a picture of Morrissey up there. What was I thinking?