Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Good point

Mark Steyn in The Washington Times:

    Why would a human-rights organization want to trivialize the murder of millions in totalitarian death camps by comparing them with a nondeath camp that flatters every aspect of the inmates' culture? If Gitmo's a gulag, what words are left for the systemic rape practiced by the butchers of Darfur? Or is it because they've so exhausted the extremes of their vocabulary on Guantanamo that the world's progressives have so little to say about real horrors like Sudan?


This isn't exactly bringing up last week's topic - because here I'm bringing up the issue that if Gitmo is a Gulag- what are the prisons of Cuba? To what do you compare the crimes in Zimbabwe? It is not as if I am unconcerned with instances of human rights abuse perpetrated by the US- it is just that I see an almost total indifference, by the American Left - and the World- to horrors on such a grander scale.

I mean, cripes. Pee splashed on a Koran. A woman invaded a prisoner's "space." Tell me why I should be concerned?

H/t -Karol at Alarming News.