Friday, March 17, 2006

This just in

400,000 dead in Darfur. 2,000,000 dead in South Sudanese. The world yawns. Because after all, this is a case where the indigenous people are killing their fellow man. It's not as if a foreign entity invaded and then pretended to torture. One gets the world mad. The other? Not so much.

I just want to make sure I understand the "rules" of outrage. If my neighbor nabs one of my children, molests and then murders them, that is a crime. If a foreign leader does the same, in his own country, either directly or through his military - well, that's just his business. We can ask the UN to sanction them, but if France decides it still wants to get some business through the back door, who are we to question?

I'm just wondering why we felt we could push our noses into that WWII business. Sure, Japan attacked us, but what did Hitler ever do to us?